Sunday, July 25, 2010

Check the Box

My employer changed insurance companies this month, and as expected, I had to fill out a bunch of new forms. I got to the part where I had to check off "married" or "single". Those were the only two choices. So I had to think...

Married? I feel married, I act married, I wear a wedding band. So I must be married right? Well, not so much, according to Aetna. I knew if I checked off "married", I would confuse the claims agent that was going to process my claim. Where was the spouse on the policy? Does she have other insurance? Etc. Etc. It would take forever to get my claim processed. So I knew I couldn't check off married.

Single? Hmmm...as I said before, I feel married, I act married, I wear a wedding band. So I can't be single, right? Well, according to law, (and the church), I am single and I can get married again (if I so desired, which I don't, but that's a topic for another entry). I don't have a spouse on record. So just because I feel married, I act married, I wear a wedding band and I call myself "Mrs.", I am not married. So what box do I check?

I didn't have to think about it too long. I drew a box, wrote "widow", and checked the box. Problem solved.

2 comments:

  1. Hello-
    I just "found" you blog thru another blog. I just cried reading this post - I remember my mom having the EXACT same issue - she wasn't single but i guess technically she wasn't married anymore. If I remember correctly (it was 14 yrs ago) - she argued for a long time with someone not being able to list herself as a widow after my dad died.

    Just wanted you to know that someone else has been there and it just plain sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Thanks for reading. I would have argued, too. I haven't heard anything from my insurance company, so I guess they've accepted my choice.

    ReplyDelete